A varicose vein is a painful health condition that can affect individuals of any age and gender. Varicose veins are twisted, bulging veins on the legs and feet which tend to get larger and more swollen with time. It occurs when small vein valves are damaged, causing blood to accumulate in the veins. A varicose vein is usually dark purplish or blue in colour and can appear enlarged or puffy under the skin. The condition usually affects the legs. Common symptoms of a varicose vein include:
● Puffy veins that are dark purple or blue in colour
● Throbbing or burning pain in the affected area
● Skin discolouration
● Itching around the skin over the affected area
● Constant leg aches
Although there are medical treatments available for treating varicose veins, many prefer to opt for simple home remedies that can be practised at any time of the day to alleviate the pain. So if you or a loved one is suffering from this painful condition, be sure to check out the at-home remedies listed below:
1) Applying Cabbage Juice: Since a varicose vein is caused by the pooling of blood in the veins, applying cabbage juice on the affected area multiple times a day can be very helpful. Cabbage contains several vitamins and minerals, phytochemicals and antioxidants that blood seepage when absorbed through the skin pores.
2) Drinking Cayenne Pepper solution: Cayenne Pepper contains an antioxidant called bioflavonoid as well as Vitamin C that help in blood flow and reduce inflammation. Drinking cayenne pepper mixed with hot water regularly for a few months can work wonders.
3) Applying Olive Oil: Olive oil massages are known to be great for the skin. Further, it helps in reducing inflammation and pain. It also improves blood circulation. Applying a warm mixture of Vitamin E oils and olive oil on the aching area is a good home remedy for the condition.
4) Dietary Changes: A simple diet alteration that incorporates potassium-rich foods like almonds, lentils, leafy vegetables and potatoes into the diet, can lessen a varicose vein condition considerably. Also, a reduction in sodium-rich or salty food items is effective in dealing with the condition. Both these dietary changes ensure lower water retention in the body which is a major cause of a varicose vein.
5) Regular Exercise: Exercising regularly is another simple yet impactful home remedy that you can opt for. Adequate exercise of your leg muscles via swimming, jogging, cycling, running or yoga gets the blood flowing in your body and prevents any pooling or backflow of blood.
It is estimated that almost 20% of adults suffer from a varicose vein at least once in their life. Hence, we should be proactive in utilising these simple home remedies to prevent or remedy this painful condition so that we can lead a healthier life.